Saturday, 16 March 2013

A Note on Habits..


A Note on Habits..
Habits. Sigh.. It always seems like I have all the bad ones and none of the good ones.  Why is it we have to consciously try to keep good habits (eating well, exercising, going to be early- ok, well I got that one down pat), but bad habits just slink in and take hold almost before you realize it? (bad food and drink habits- I call those “yummy”, staying up late, not getting one’s rump out to exercise).

Just over a year ago, I was getting dressed and realized I would need to buy new clothes if I didn't change my eating habits. My epiphany (like so many others for sure) was “well, hell, if I need to buy new clothes because of my changing physique, then why not make it buying smaller sizes rather than yet again a bigger size?” Actually- in reality it was nowhere near that civilized. I think I threw a tantrum that would rival the most stubborn 2-year old and in tears said “I am NOT buying a size 12! Screw that!” and promptly signed up for weight watchers. So- a year later, I have managed to keep 17 lbs off for the most part (and in a size 6 pant! Whoo!)since June. All because I was forced (by logging food and drink every day) to CHANGE MY EATING HABITS. Omg.. it was really hard at first. But now I think I mostly have it all figured out. Some weeks are better than others and I still drink my wine and eat my chocolate (because let’s face it- any new eating regime that wants me to give that up is just not going to stick. No way). But I think I am mostly on a good path.

So: How do I make regular exercise a habit? That is a good habit I would like to take on- but it is such a struggle! I was not a very active kid. Well actually that is not true- like all kids, I played outside, had my beloved roller skates (the ones you buckle to your shoes!) and my aunt got me a bike when I was 10 (a 10 speed! It was red..) I lived on that bike. We all did really, all the kids in the neighbourhood did. But I did not do organized sports, ever. There really weren’t any that I know of at school (a fine arts school downtown) and coming from a single-parent family there was never money or time for such things. Only when I was in grade 9 did I discover the wonders of dance class (then I went all out in my obsessive way- taking every class I could possibly fit into budget and time. I think I spent grade 11 and 12 permanently in dance attire, with a sweater thrown over for when I attended academic classes between dance classes J). Then as an adult all activity ceased.. I never joined any sporting group because I frankly had no skills to offer, having never done that stuff, ever. And now I am too old and rickety to join any kind of serious dance class.
This all makes me realize just how important it is to instill good exercise habit in kids! Start when they are young! Then they will be active in some capacity forever. I see it in my friends who were active as kids and my in-laws.

My Spartan training has come to a grinding halt, simply because I am so damned busy being: mom, wife, employee, etc. etc. and also because I don’t have the HABIT of making my own exercise a priority (and let’s face it- I am no natural at any of it, so it is a grind for me to run, lift weights, or any of that stuff- just ask my dear friends who have seen me skate and snurf! I look a little like a fish out of water to say the least!). So as spring is springing I will once again kick my butt in gear (possibly I can race train with Jac since she is training too) and strap on my runners and hit the pavement. Sigh.. I just wish it was something I was driven to do instead of something I need to get me to do.

It doesn’t help that I feel like I start from scratch all the time- another downside to not being active my entire life. But I will get back in the saddle and do it. I wonder if I had a cheering crowd if that would help? J
I will wave to the old ladies and gentlemen that walk by me as I run J (this has happened- I hiked the Grouse Grind one year in Vancouver  with my father, and an elderly lady lapped me. I ran a race on Parc and along Pine – my first ever- and people were walking past me, but I never stopped!).

Get out and get active!


No comments:

Post a Comment